Friday 15 January 2010

Lies lies lies

The death of Eric Rohmer reminded me that I'm lucky enough to have once interviewed another great French film director, Bertrand Tavernier. Unfortunately, we only spoke by phone but, like Rohmer, his vision of cinema came through in every word of our conversation, alongside his incredible enthusiasm for the art, and knowledge of it. Utterly winningly, he added as we said goodbye: You have my number, call whenever you like. Of course, I haven't.

While I'm tagging that old article from Little White Lies, I'd like to mention a (phone) interview I did with another very driven man, this time in the field of music. Ramin Sadighi runs his own record label in Iran and, despite having to contend with the country's notorious 'red lines' (censorship), still creates a world-class catalogue, which includes an association with Abbas Kiarostami.

No comments:

Post a Comment